Its features and benefits
At Happylegs we are health specialists and that yours is the best possible is something that worries us. For this reason we want to take advantage of our blog to also talk about healthy habits in your day to day that will help you to be healthier, stronger and therefore happier.
Today, lifestyle has become a fundamental aspect for the prevention and treatment of chronic pathologies related to cardiovascular risk, such as diabetes and metabolic syndrome. A good diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases and, in particular, the relationship between a good diet and better cardiovascular health is gaining weight in the scientific world.
A good proof of this is that UNESCO registered the Mediterranean Diet as one of the elements of the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity . It is for this reason and for all the benefits that it brings together, the reasons why today we are going to talk about this healthy diet that our lands provide us.
What is it?
But what exactly does the Mediterranean diet consist of? In terms of food, this diet focuses on ingredients from local agriculture in countries with a Mediterranean climate , mainly Spain and Italy .
Among its main ingredients are vegetables , legumes , fruit , fish , white meat , pasta , rice and nuts . More specifically, it consists of reducing the consumption of meat and carbohydrates in favor of more vegetable foods and monounsaturated fats .
Another especially recommended product is olive oil , which has oleic acid and fats of vegetable origin that help reduce the risk of clogging the arteries and has a high content of carotenes and vitamin E. In addition, it is also recommended wine consumption in moderation.
It is also a balanced lifestyle made up of recipes , ways of cooking, typical products, customs ... In this way, it is a healthy diet that is perfectly compatible with the pleasure of tasting tasty dishes .
In investigations such as that of Doctor Ancel Keys in the "Study of the seven countries" , the common characteristics of the diet of the Mediterranean countries are observed:
- It is low in saturated fat.
- On the contrary, high contribution in monounsaturated fats.
- It is balanced in essential fatty acids (polyunsaturated, omega 6 and omega 3).
- Low contribution in animal protein.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Rich in fiber.
- Rich in complex carbohydrates.
It should be noted that it is considered one of the dietary models with the greatest scientific evidence regarding its benefits for people's health . It has even been studied for its efficacy in terms of prevention and treatment of various pathologies associated with chronic inflammation , such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative diseases and cancer.
Its benefits are also related to improvements in cholesterol levels, antioxidant capacity, blood pressure, the immune system, blood coagulation, and even the liver and cardiovascular system .
There is scientific evidence that those people who combine this dietary model with physical exercise, effective sleep and good social activity, manage to prevent or delay the onset of diseases .
The most representative:
- Obesity . The Mediterranean diet means reducing the risk of being overweight among children, a problem that is growing more and more in Spain precisely because of the abandonment of this type of diet . The type of fat that predominates in this diet helps to control weight.
- Cognitive impairment, and dementia such as Alzheimer's. This diet, especially nuts , which have omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and oily fish , which also has many vitamins and minerals, favors cognitive function and memory.
- Gestational diabetes . Our diet is rich in fruits, vegetables and seasonal products , good products to reduce diabetes. In addition, the consumption of extra virgin olive oil and pistachios has been related to a decrease in the risk of suffering from this complication during pregnancy.
- stomach cancer . Stomach tumors are associated with environmental factors such as diet , and the Mediterranean diet acts to their detriment .
- Osteoporosis. The Mediterranean diet has a great contribution of calcium , for which this, among other reasons, reduces the risk of suffering fractures.
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux . The characteristic foods of the Mediterranean diet help to relieve reflux .
- Aggressive prostate cancer . Aggressive prostate tumors are also related to diet, so a healthy diet can help prevent them .
The health benefits of this diet are more significant when combined with physical exercise. In the event that for various reasons, such as lack of time, it is impossible to carry it out, at Happylegs we have seated walking machines that will solve all your problems.
If you want to find new recipes, more information or continue researching about this food model, the Mediterranean Diet Foundation will help you to do so.
You no longer have an excuse, make the most of this diet that is delicious in every way!